The Association of Imperialism
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topic#1:Term Limits and Term Lengths

+2
Rifty
Silver Noble
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Topic#1:Term Limits and Term Lengths Empty Topic#1:Term Limits and Term Lengths

Post by Silver Noble Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Currently we have no term limits and our term lengths are capped at one month (however often this ends up going over due to various other regional events)

The issue with having no term limits is it introduces complacency and we don't see fresh faces get into government and take a vested interest in AoI and interregional affairs. Therefore should we have term limits? Some ideas are limit consecutive terms to two after which the individual has to skip an election to be eligible again? Feel free to post your ideas.

The 2nd issue is term lengths, I feel like term limits should be extended to two months to give the overseers more time to realize their agenda before elections roll around. Chime in on this as well. . .annndddddd GO!
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Topic#1:Term Limits and Term Lengths Empty Re: Topic#1:Term Limits and Term Lengths

Post by Rifty Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Term limits have always been an issue in my eyes - Especially surrounding delegacy. Sure i want to see new faced but it causes a ton of issues teaching, replacing, voting and than updating once the elections are though.

However term limits on Overseers and High Overseer does sound like a good idea. I will be saying though that i don't feel as if Lord Regent is something we should be deliberately allowing others to get into.

two months sounds perfect~
Rifty
Rifty
Admin

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=rifty

Back to top Go down

Topic#1:Term Limits and Term Lengths Empty Re: Topic#1:Term Limits and Term Lengths

Post by Silver Noble Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:41 pm

I agree there Lord Regent especially executive delegate has to be one of the few ppl we trust so that's certainly concrete, no term limit on executive delegate. One of our topics will be discussing the Lord Regent specifically as well so lets say for the sake of discussion that this term limit and length is being discussed for all the overseers only.
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifty Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:20 pm

He's running for HO - I've known since the last elections
Rifty
Rifty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Noble Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Its mix it up, keep it fresh and give those who run in elections a chance against the incumbents who otherwise win by default, term limits would apply to one overseer position so Stretch could run for HO but not IA again.
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stretchington Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:34 pm

2 months in the same position is a very fair limit.
Stretchington
Stretchington

Back to top Go down

Post by The Viridian Tribes Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:53 pm

It wasn't me who mentioned it, anyway, term lengths and term limits, can someone summarize what has been said for me?
The Viridian Tribes
The Viridian Tribes

Back to top Go down

Post by Stretchington Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:56 pm

most of us are saying a two consecutive term limit is fair for the overseers
Stretchington
Stretchington

Back to top Go down

Post by The Viridian Tribes Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:57 pm

A term staying the same at 1 month?
The Viridian Tribes
The Viridian Tribes

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Noble Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:57 pm

The Viridian Tribes wrote:It wasn't me who mentioned it, anyway, term lengths and term limits, can someone summarize what has been said for me?
https://taoi.forumotion.com/t30-topic2overseer-of-rp-and-overseer-of-immigration#154

Alright Vir the topic has been shifted there, I welcome further discussion about it Very Happy
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Noble Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:59 pm

The Viridian Tribes wrote:A term staying the same at 1 month?
Term length shifting to two months, with no more than two consecutive terms in one overseer position. At that point you have to wait one term to run for the same position but this not does disqualify you from running for a different overseer position.
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Viridian Tribes Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Hm, seems reasonable
The Viridian Tribes
The Viridian Tribes

Back to top Go down

Post by Stretchington Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:04 pm

I believe it's a good idea to increase the length too.
Stretchington
Stretchington

Back to top Go down

Post by Creideamh Siochanta Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:08 pm

I think two months sounds great, but how about in the last 2 or 3 weeks of the term we have elections and find out who the new person will be, and then it is the old lord regents job to teach them everything.
Creideamh Siochanta
Creideamh Siochanta

Back to top Go down

Post by Stretchington Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

I'd say instead of the lord regent the previous overseer should teach them.
Stretchington
Stretchington

Back to top Go down

Post by The Viridian Tribes Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Agreed
The Viridian Tribes
The Viridian Tribes

Back to top Go down

Post by reddogkeno101 Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:09 pm

2 months sounds good. Not for lord regent though
reddogkeno101
reddogkeno101

Back to top Go down

Post by Stretchington Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:11 pm

We have been saying for all overseers and high overseer 2 terms of 2 months each in a row.
Stretchington
Stretchington

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifty Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:29 pm

reddogkeno101 wrote:2 months sounds good. Not for lord regent though
Exactly - how long should LR be though?
Rifty
Rifty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Noble Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Rifty wrote:
Double? 4months.
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by reddogkeno101 Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Rifty wrote:
I'm going to say double as well or none at all. We need some term limit, but not too little of one.
reddogkeno101
reddogkeno101

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifty Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:09 am

6 month terms with no term limits. The 6 months can be drawn to a close earlier if the person is leaving NS, I and Noble feel it is time, a large portion of the region want an election OR incompetence from the person.
Rifty
Rifty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Noble Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:16 pm

6 months would be better from a regional security perspective, since each time we elect a new delegate we have to go through the tedious process of switching endorsements over to a new person which is a tedious and risky process
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifty Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:26 pm

6 month standard term - They can be removed sooner if needed
Rifty
Rifty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Noble Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Recap of Discussion:

1.Term length of overseers to be extended to two months.
2.Term limits of two consecutive terms will be implemented before the individual has to sit out one election before they are eligible again but they can run in a different overseer election if they wish.
3.Term length of the Lord Regent is extended to six months and no term limits will be imposed on the Lord Regent.
Silver Noble
Silver Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next